Montgomery County offers many programs and services for people with disabilities -- see Disability Information & Services for more information, such as Financial Assistance, Transportation, Employment Services, Housing, Demographics, and Legal Services. Or call the Department of Health and Human Services' Aging and Disability Services at 240-777-3000.
Get Help with Reading
The following provide assistance, services, programs or products that can help with reading.
Library Services for People with Disabilities
The Disability Resource Center (DRC) supports library services for people with disabilities in Montgomery County. Contact the DRC with questions and suggestions or to receive emails about programs: firstname.lastname@example.org, voice 240-777-0960, TTY 240-777-0902.
MCPL's services for people with disabilities, their family members and caregivers include:
- Assistance for customers of the Talking Book program. Librarians can certify Talking Books applications for people who have low vision and other physical disabilities (people with learning disabilities should have their applications signed by a doctor).
- Adaptive technology and literacy software - JAWS (version 8) and ZoomText (version 9) at all libraries.
- Programs of interest to people with disabilities.
- Library service to people who are homebound.
- Monthly Talking Book Group at Rockville Memorial Library , for all those who like listening to books.
- Perkins braillers to check out at Rockville Memorial Library .
- Library-produced handouts are available in braille. Leave a message with your request at 240-777-0960.
- Magnifiers for use in the library are available at some libraries.
The following materials are available at most branches (items can be sent to your local branch) or online:
- Large print books
- Audiobooks on CD, cassette tape, and Playaways.
- Closed captioned videos: DVDs that include a feature to display both text of dialog and descriptions of sounds and music.
- Described videos: DVDs that include a feature to activate audio descriptions of action (usually from Disney, Pixar, Fox, Paramount, Sony, and Universal studios).
- Downloadable e-books and audiobooks .
- Braille-with-print books for children .
The following materials are largely in the collection at the Rockville Memorial Library, and all items can be sent to your local branch.
- Books and videos about disabilities and aspects of living and working with a disability.
- Materials to support learning, such as high-interest, low-vocabulary titles.
- Described videos. These are movies that have an added narrative to describe the action. Browse our described videos.
- Sign language videos and instructional materials for children and adults.
- The Children's Resource Collection for parents, teachers, and caregivers, which includes materials about children with disabilities.
MCPL's Guide to Library Services for People Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.